- Nyepi Day
- Nyepi Day is the culmination of several days that follow this event. This year, Nyepi Day occurs on March 25. On March 21, the Balinese Hindus gathered all sacred apparatus that symbolize the supremacy of God in the world in the temple village. The following day, either on March 22 or March 23, is the melasti day
(Added: 30-Mar-2000 Hits: 93125836 Rating: 92154 Votes: 8432145) [Rate It] [Report Dead Link]
- 158 Decorated Dokar cheered up Denpasar 10th Anniversary
- 158 dokars (horse drawn bungee) were going around the Denpasar City on Sunday (24/02) on the competition and parade of decorated dokar in cheering up the Denpasar’s 10th Anniversary.
The parade was launched by the Regent of Denpasar, Puspayoga, at the Puputan Badung Square, the city square of Denpasar.
(Added: 24-Feb-2002 Hits: 154 Rating: 0 Votes: 0) [Rate It] [Report Dead Link]
- A month to Nyepi day, Ogoh-ogoh started to make
- The Nyepi Day (Saka Calendar New Year) will occur on April 13, but the kids of the Banjar (traditional neighborhood organization) Braban, Dauh Puri kauh Village, Denpasar has started to make the Ogoh-ogoh (giant demonic dolls) that would be processed in the town square on the Pengerupukan Day (a night to cast away the demons) a day before the Nyepi day.
(Added: 9-Mar-2002 Hits: 75716 Rating: 56 Votes: 85588) [Rate It] [Report Dead Link]
- Ashes to Ashes
- The road to the cremation ground is crammed with a slow-moving sea people; a procession of hundred bearing a towering wadah - the tall tiered, bamboo pagoda which contains the body of the deceased - and a lembu the sarcophagus symbolising the bull
that leads the soul to heaven
(Added: 19-Aug-1999 Hits: 1154 Rating: 651 Votes: 71) [Rate It] [Report Dead Link]
- Cremation in Ubud
- There will be a big cremation in Ubud on March 1, 2006. Do not miss it!!!
Location is just near the Ubud Palace and museum. Remind you that Main Street of Ubud will be jammed - make sure your car park is not far as you have to walk in order to witness this event. Bring your sash, water, camera, good shoes. It will be crowded and hot as the cremation starts 12.00 o’clock
(Added: 27-Mar-2006 Hits: 108 Rating: 0 Votes: 0) [Rate It] [Report Dead Link]
- Dangerous Times
- Balinese ceremonies mark the transitions of human life, deepen spiritual dimensions, and perpetuate mythologies. They also fascinate foreign visitors. Cremations are probably the most popular, and their program and proceedings are already well known. Or are they? The lesser-known, peripheral ceremonies that lead up to a cremation are as interesting, and more laden with symbolic and sacred ritual than the puncak karya or main event itself - meaning the big bonfire part.
(Added: 16-May-2007 Hits: 93 Rating: 22 Votes: 22) [Rate It] [Report Dead Link]
- Festivals On Bali
- The Balinese devote most of their waking hours to an endless series of offerings, purifications, processions, dances, and dozens
of other religious rites
(Added: 5-Jul-1999 Hits: 226 Rating: 0 Votes: 0) [Rate It] [Report Dead Link]
- Galungan and Kuningan Day
- Galungan Days are the important religious celebrations for Balinese
Hindus.The Galungan festivity marks the victory of dharma (order)over adharma (disorder). According to the local legend, centuries ago, Bali came to be ruled by a cruel, godless tyrant named
Mayadenawa, who banned religious festival, tore down temples and
punished anyone caught worshipping their Hindu gods
(Added: 27-Feb-2001 Hits: 6722 Rating: 555 Votes: 7778) [Rate It] [Report Dead Link]
- INDONESIA USABA SAMBAH
- This festival's ritual fistfights and hand-powered
ferris wheels are only a couple of many strange
phenomena taking place in Tenganan — a town
that's considered eccentric even by Balinese
(Added: 26-Jul-1999 Hits: 158 Rating: 1.00 Votes: 1) [Rate It] [Report Dead Link]