- Bali Art Biblio
- The plethora of books available on Balinese art can make buying one a confusing task. To aid those readers looking for a guide to Balinese painting, prominent art critic and Bali resident Jean Couteau has provided Bali Echo with a bibliography of the texts available
(Added: 9-Jun-2007 Hits: 99 Rating: 22 Votes: 22) [Rate It] [Report Dead Link]
- Hardly on the edge of my seat
- Two novels set in Bali for review - both featuring 'edge' in their titles. What is this fascination with edges? Things one generally falls off or bangs into. And indeed it would seem many of the characters in these stories are off the edge or hanging on the edge of either society or sanity.
(Added: 11-May-2007 Hits: 106 Rating: 22 Votes: 22) [Rate It] [Report Dead Link]
- Intimate Impressions
- Those in search of a delightful new view of Bali should take note of the newest production of Singapore's premi�re publisher - Editions Didier Millet and its subsidiary Archipelago Press. Entitled Bali Sktetchbook, it offers the intimate impressions of the watercolour artist Graham Byfield accompanied by a text by the legendary Diana Darling, our doyen of the mountains.
(Added: 1-Jun-2007 Hits: 101 Rating: 22 Votes: 22) [Rate It] [Report Dead Link]
- Magic Black and White
- Baliís richly vibrant culture abounds with fascinating stories combining magic, myth and history, some of which are well-known variations of the Mahabharata and Ramayana epics and other fables which are uniquely Balinese. However, much of this literature remains inaccessible to a foreign audience. Visitors may be charmed by a dance performance or moved by a painting but have little idea of the intrinsic narrative.
(Added: 18-May-2007 Hits: 99 Rating: 22 Votes: 22) [Rate It] [Report Dead Link]
- Murder, Bloody Murder
- The Kris of Death - A Mystery Novel Set in Bali
By Meredith Morain and Jerrold Steward
Travel Treasure Books, Hong Kong.
In spite of its setting in laid-back Ubud, Morain and Steward's murder mystery is pacy and entertaining, writes Astuti Aswadi.
(Added: 25-May-2007 Hits: 108 Rating: 22 Votes: 22) [Rate It] [Report Dead Link]
- Spills n Thrills in the rice paddies
- The Butterflies of Bali. Some erudite lepidopterist's guide? A probing investigation into daytime prostitution? Having read it from cover to cover, sorry, imbibed its literary nourishment from commencement to completion, I can safely admit my initial presentiments were most erroneous. This is, without a shadow of a doubt, A Ripping Yarn.
(Added: 15-May-2007 Hits: 101 Rating: 22 Votes: 22) [Rate It] [Report Dead Link]
- The Female Touch
- In Hana Bira, or "The Petal", Mas Ruscitadewi has chosen to follow a very fragile and feminine theme and approach. Woven through all of her written images are a womanís perspective on life and the gentle exploration of the inner world.
(Added: 15-Jun-2007 Hits: 100 Rating: 22 Votes: 22) [Rate It] [Report Dead Link]